Tuesday, October 3, 2017

My Grandpa

A wonderful man passed away in April of 2017.  To be honest, I have struggled to find the words to express the many emotions I have felt about his passing. My grandpa was one of a kind. He had the best smile that could brighten anyone's day. He always had a firm handshake to give you when he saw you. He always encouraged Brandon and I to take care of each other. He had unwavering love for his family and the gospel. He's a true example of Jesus Christ. 

When Brandon and I were young college students, any time we would come to visit, he would put together a box of food for us to take home. He was always so kind and generous. He would give us an envelope each year for our birthday. Inside the envelope would be the money amount for how old we were turning. I received one of the very last envelopes he made to give since he passed around my birthday. 


Picture taken of Grandpa and I back in Sept. of 2009

Back in January of 2017, our family was able to travel to Utah to attend the party celebrating my grandpa turning 90, my grandma turning 85 and my grandparents 65 wedding anniversary. We are so grateful we went to celebrate these two wonderful people and the life that they have shared.


His funeral was beautiful. It was a spiritual experience to be apart of it. I learned so many new stories about my grandpa. I didn't know that he trained to be a medic in World War II. I loved hearing about the story of when he bested my dad at pull-ups on the clothes line in the back yard.  I personally loved the story that my dad shared of going through my grandpa's old journals and expenses. There was a date long ago. He bought my grandma a wedding ring. The note beside it read: "Wedding Ring for GenaVee, The one that I love."  


I loved being apart of the special musical number with my adult cousins.

I loved that we had vanilla ice cream, his favorite, for dessert after his funeral.

One of the greatest blessings in my life is to call him grandpa!


No comments:

Post a Comment