Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Pillows

Some of you might remember this post about my birthday last year. For my birthday last year, my awesome friends here in Memphis very lovingly gave me a sewing machine!

To be honest, I haven't done as much sewing with it as I would like.

My friend, Whitney, has been trying to help me remember/learn how to sew. I remember somethings about sewing from a homemaking class I took when I was attending BYU-Idaho. However, most of the things I remember from that class was how stressful it was.

Anyways, my friend Whitney had the great idea to make pillow cases, for the kids, for each major holiday. We had plans to start making them in December for Christmas, but that didn't happen.

One Thursday in January, she called me to come over and we spent most of the afternoon and evening sewing pillowcases. I am very pleased with how they turned out and the kids seem to be happy about them too.Of course the boys had to have a silly picture taken with their pillows too.I also made a smaller pillow case, to go on a smaller pillow, that we affectionately call in our house the "LOVE Pillow." Each night in February we have been passing around the "Love Pillow" in our family. As a family, we try to do nice things and serve whoever has the "LOVE Pillow"for the day. The person who has the "Love Pillow" then passes it on to someone new for the next day. It has been quite fun to have in the house. Sometimes tears are shed and/or fighting if someone thinks it has been too long since they had a turn with the pillow, but overall it has been a fun experience to have during this season of LOVE.

8 comments:

  1. How fun. I want to do that know. My mother-in-law made us some Christmas pillowcases last Christmas and I would love to add to the collection. Was it hard?
    I love the idea of the love pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! That love pillow is a great idea. I might try that at my house next year. Your pillow cases turned out very cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Love your material! And what a fun idea with the Love pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to start sewing again--fun pillow cases! I love the Love pillow idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, it wasn't too hard to make the pillowcases. It was a nice, easy project to start sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun and cute! I'm glad you had some time to sew finally!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those turned out so great! You always have such great ideas for family traditions and spending time with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a cute idea! I might have to steal that from you someday! :)

    ReplyDelete