Tuesday, August 10, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten

Today was Hyrum's first day of Kindergarten. This morning, he was so excited to finally be able to go to the Kindergarten he had heard so much about. Any time we would drive by the school, someone in the car would comment on how that place was Kindergarten and how Hyrum would get to go there. To start the morning off he had yummy blueberry pancakes, the kind his Papa makes for him.
For school this year, he has a Spiderman backpack he received last year for his birthday and a marvel super heroes lunch box. I thought he looked so handsome this morning.He thinks his Transformer tennis shoes are pretty cool. This picture Hyrum jumped right before I took it so we could try and get a picture of the lights.When we got to school, Hyrum became a little shy and timid. We found his name tag and I got him all settled only to realize that I left his water bottle out in the car. I gave him a hug and kiss and told him to be good and flashed him the I love you sign that we have. When I came back in the classroom with his water bottle he was even more nervous and asked me if I could stay. I told him I couldn't. His response was to ask for one more kiss.During the day I thought about him lots. I wondered if he showed the teachers that he could read. I wondered if he just got nervous and shut down. I wondered how he did at lunch. So many things I wondered about through out the day.

When I picked up after school the first thing he said, "that was so much fun! They gave us M&M's." Which he remembered later were skittles that the teachers gave them if they walked quietly in the halls. He eagerly told me how they read the Kissing Hand and then made their very own "kissing hand". He told he how he had fun doing centers and how he didn't have enough time to eat all of his lunch. He said he met some nice friends. Overall, I would say he had a great day.

I was worried and still am about his experience in Kindergarten. I hope he gets a teacher (he hasn't been assigned one yet) who is amazing. Who strengthens his desire for learning and helps him to improve in his reading and other skills. A teacher who encourages creativity and questioning. I hope he makes good friends and remembers his manners. I hope he is kind to others. I hope he tries his best and has fun. I hope I have done enough as a parent to prepare him for this huge step in life. I have been an emotional roller coaster lately. Sometimes I am excited for him to be going to Kindergarten and other times I just tear up and cry. He is my sweetheart! I love him so much and can't wait to see what he will accomplish.

5 comments:

  1. Awww, yay for a great first day! Reading your post reminded me of my feelings when Jenna went to school. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I may be crying right now, just thinking about my sweet Hyrum going to kindergarten. Is it normal that I worry about all those things for him too and we haven't even been able to see that sweetheart of a boy for years? (well, I worry about all of those things except the manners part and you having prepared him enough -- you are such an amazing mother, Hyrum will shine wherever he goes). Can we all just move back to Provo now? PLEEEEASE?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's so cute! I can't believe he's that old now to be going to kindergarten. I remember when Jon and I babysat Hyrum one night while you and Brandon were at the hospital when the twins were born. He is so great. I still remember my first day of kindergarten too. What a big step for him!! And I'm sure you have prepared him extremely well. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all of my feelings exactly...and I will go ahead and answer your question..no doubts in my mind you have done an amazing job..both you and Brandon are awesome parents..also he is ahead of the game....so take some deep breaths ...and know he will be GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow Nat! The big day finally came. I remember you talking about Hyrum and Kindergarten before you guys left. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I know I am a ways off with Addie, but still dread the day I have to share her with other people on a regular basis. Good luck and congrats to Hyrum! He will be the top of his class with such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete