Monday, March 22, 2010

Childhood Obesity 5K



On March 13th, I ran 6th 5K. My goal for the race was to finish under 30:00. My time for my last 5K was 30:18.

The race was in support of childhood obesity which, I think is a big problem in society, particularly here in Memphis.

The kids were so excited for me to do another race. Ben went and found my race number (the one you pin on your shirt) from another race and brought it to me to wear. Ben also told me that morning to run fast, like Chick Hicks the race car.

On the day of the race, it was FREEZING! Not only that, the race didn't start on-time, but was about 30 minutes late. So late in fact that Brandon was hoping to get to the race just a few minutes before I crossed the finish line and in fact got there just as the race was starting.

My friend, Whitney, was so sweet to run the race with me and stay right by me to time me and keep me on pace.

I crossed the finish line with a time of 28:01 and came in second for my age group. I was very pleased that I had improved my time by a little over two minutes.Once again, I had my little cheering section at the race. Hyrum was holding the sign and Ben and Emmy were too busy playing with the other kids to notice me.

I ran the race with 5 girls from my ward.LtoR Rachelle, Me, Whitney, Megan, Jenn

Everyone in our little group placed either first or second in their age group (Whitney didn't pay to run, so she didn't cross the finish line and have her time count).

I love it that Brandon took time out of his busy schedule (he was studying for boards at the time) to bring the kids to my race and support me. It really means a lot to me to have my family there when I finish.Now, I am trying to decide what my next goal will be. I am thinking that a realistic goal would be to finish my next 5K in under 27:45.

6 comments:

  1. You could totally cut another 15 seconds off! Especially if you just cut 2 minutes off. Once the summer comes there are much longer races--do I hear a half marathon calling your name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, ha, you're funny- of course you can run 27:45!! I'll bet you could have even done that this time. Good job again, thanks for letting me run with ya :) I seriously didn't think I'd be able to run 3 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you. I know what it takes to be a runner and I am so glad that you are enjoying it and doing so well. Way to go and good luck for the next race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats again, you beat your goal by quite a bit! that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome and an inspiration to us all! Keep up the good work. I love a half marathon. You definitely have to push yourself to run that distance, but it is not quite as grueling as a full marathon! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete