Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lucy's Birth Story



Our little Lucy Louise was born October 4th at 7:56 in the morning. Lucky for us, we have a great friend who volunteered to have Hyrum, Ben and Emmy spend the night. This friend then took Hyrum to school and had Ben and Emmy play at her house for the day. She was a lifesaver!

We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning on the 4th. I was nervous, anxious and excited. I was grateful for the blessing of comfort that Brandon gave me the night before Lucy came into this world. We had to wait a little while in the hospital room before the c-section. The nurses took my vitals, monitored Lucy, and placed an IV. The person in charge of my spinal came and talked to me for a bit and I shared my experience that I had when I delivered Hyrum. After he left, I really started to get nervous and sick to my stomach. I didn't have long to wait after that and was soon wheeled to the operating room.
As I mentioned before, I was nervous about my spinal. However, my spinal went so well. I don't think it could have gone any better. Having my spinal done was a huge relief for me and I was finally able to relax. Shortly after my spinal, my doctor came in and proceeded with my c-section. He commented many times (and cursed) about all the scaring that I had in my stomach due to being sewed up faulty from my last c-section. It took him a long time to get to Lucy and get her out. The nurses and my doctor really had to push and pull to coax Lucy out of her favorite spot in my stomach (she would lay on a certain side of my stomach). As they were pulling her out, I heard comments about how much dark hair she has and how big she was. The doctor and nurses were estimating her to be about 10 pounds. They were wrong, she only weighed a little over 9 lbs. She is just a solid little thing. I pleaded with Brandon to take lots of pictures and to take pictures as if he were me. I think he did a great job and I was pleased with him.

Once Lucy was cleaned up, the nurses let Brandon sit over by me and hold her so I could see Lucy up close. He commented how much hair she had and lifted her hat to show a sparse covering of dark hair. In my mind I thought to myself that he exaggerated how much hair she has.

After I saw her for a little bit, Lucy was taken to the nursery where Brandon was able to watch behind the glass as she got her first bath. Brandon was disappointed because when we had Hyrum, the nurses let him come in and give him a bath, not so with Lucy.While Lucy was receiving her bath, my doctor spent a LONG time sewing me up. I would rather have them spend a long time and sew me up right. He still commented on how much scaring I had and that he was able tot take out some of it. He also commented that I would have a lot of swelling and bruising from this c-section due to how intense it was. I was in a lot of pain after this c-section. I think it was probably due to the fact that they really had to push and pull to get Lucy out and all of the scaring they had to cut through.

I was so excited to see Lucy when they brought her to me and explore her cute chubby body. I fell in love with her cheeks. I could kiss those all day. I took off Lucy's hat and saw her thick head of dark hair. Most of her hair is in the back. I was surprised about how much hair she has. I think Lucy has more hair than my other three kids did combined. She even has some long dark hair on her ears that I think is adorable. It will be interesting to see if when her hair falls out, if it will come in light like Hyrum's did. Out of all my other kids, she looks like Hyrum the most. Lucy has long fingers like Emmy did and big feet like Hyrum.I was so happy to have her in my arms safe and sound. At the hospital we stayed at, the babies have a security bracelet attached to their ankles that will shut down and lock doors if the baby is taken out of reach. One of the last things the nurses do before you check out is to remove the security band.

I had a great hospital stay. Lucy and I both had great nurses. Below is a picture of Lucy with a nurse that was in charge of her the majority of our hospital stay. Other than a MAJOR reaction to the iodine prep they put on my stomach when they did the c-section, my recovery has been pretty smooth.

We had to exchange Lucy's coming home outfit for a bigger size. Brandon went and picked out something new for her to wear on the way home. He was so excited to take a picture of Lucy, that he didn't wait to put on her socks.My mom made Lucy the adorable Hippo blanket that you see. She made sure that the blanket had hippos in honor of Emmy.

We are so in love with Lucy and are so pleased to have this new addition to our family.

9 comments:

  1. You look amazing as always! Brandon did a great job taking some very cute pictures. Lucy is just precious. I love her little bow. Enjoy her tiny stage. I can't believe my baby is already 9 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well. Lucy is adorable. I wish I could come and squish those cheeks of hers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so adorable! I'm so glad everything went well for you! You look great as well! You would never know you just had a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! She is so cute and chunky I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that everything went well and that Lucy's birth was better than the last c-section you had! She really is adorable. I'm so glad too that Emmy has a younger sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I know you ate just loving her to pieces! She is so cute. I hope that your pain and reaction are all under control and your recovery is going well. I am thinking of you and your family of 6!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is beautiful, you are beautiful, and I'm so glad that the c-section went so well this time! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a HUGE blessing that the delivery went so well! We are way too excited for you guys -- she is gorgeous!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete